I finished a book back in October called Love Does by Bob Goff. In a nutshell, it talks about love being an action word. You can’t love others without DOING. So after reading my last post about Russian adoptions, many of you who believe love is an action word have asked what you can DO to help. I’ve compiled a list of things you can do to help and add your voice those who support U.S. adoptions continuing in Russia. If you do everything listed below, it will take a total of about thirty minutes. Some of them take a matter of seconds, some take a few minutes and the cost of a stamp. My point is, most of these things are fast, easy, and inexpensive. Please, I’m begging you, on behalf of Kirill and the 700,000 children who reside in orphanages in Russia, love actively and DO these things.
1. Contact your Representatives and Senators. You can find your elected officials on this website:
When you talk with someone in their office please say something to this effect:
“Hello, my name is _____ and I live in _____. I am calling on behalf of my (friends or family members…if you don’t know of anyone, you may use the name Jenni and Josh Johnston, who are dear friends of mine…you can see their interview with CNN HERE) who are in the process of adoption from Russia. They have already met their child and signed a letter of intent to adopt her. I ask that Congressman or Senator ______ contact Secretary of State Clinton and other members of the State Department to talk to them about the ban on adoptions from the United States, but specifically to work out a deal that would allow families like Josh and Jenni, who have already met their child, to bring them home safely. We also urge you to ensure that the United States State Department is following through with every commitment made in the agreement signed in July to ensure that adoptions can continue for years to come.”
That is all you have to say and it only takes a few moments of your time. If you would rather email, you can also do that. My suggestion would be to do both…CALL AND EMAIL.
2. Call on the White House directly. You can contact the comments line and talk to an operator at 202-456-1111. Please say something to this effect:
“Hello, my name is _____ and I live in _____. I am calling on behalf of my (friends or family members) who are in the process of adoption from Russia. They have already met their child and signed a letter of intent to adopt her. I ask that President Obama contact President Putin directly to talk about the ban on adoptions from the United States, but specifically to work out a deal that would allow families like (friends or family members), who have already met their child, to bring them home safely.”
Again, just takes a few moments.
3. The US State Department has suggested that adoptive families (and even older adopted children), write to the Russian Embassy in DC to express their opinions and thoughts on the recent ban. However, even if you haven’t adopted, you can write and express your opinions on the ban. I am giving you permission to use Kirill’s story if you don’t have personal stories of adoption from Russia to share.
His Excellency Sergey I. Kislyak
Ambassador to the United States
Embassy of Russia
2650 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20007
4. Sign this petition:
It needs to have 25,000 signatures and then it HAS to be addressed by the President. It has a long way to go, but I believe this could be knocked out if every reader of this post will re-post it on Twitter, Facebook, and personal blogs. Things like this can happen super duper fast with social media. So please, sign it…but also SHARE IT.
Thank you so much for standing with the families in the adoption process in Russia as well as the hundreds of thousands of orphaned children who will not have a chance to be adopted if this ban is upheld. This is Kirill’s before and after photo after just three months in our family. I pray that it will inspire you to act because LOVE DOES.
God’s will be done on Earth. Trusting his promises and knowing that HE is sovereign.
Search the Project HOPEFUL blog
- The Village of HOPE is also on INSTAGRAM!! VILLAGEOFHOPEGUATEMALA!!! FOLLOW US!! 9 hours ago
- The Village of HOPE, Village of Hope-Guatemala is on Twitter!! @VOH_GUAT!! FOLLOW US!! 9 hours ago
- RT @LifeVerse: Have you prayed for your children and grandchildren today? ow.ly/uoXi1 11 hours ago
- RT @Daily_Good: "Hate cannot drive out hate; only #love can do that." ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. http://t.co/xFYv0qGRXi 1 day ago
- RT @POTSC: Falling down is part of life. Getting back up is living. #potsc 1 day ago